UNITED NATIONS URGES #EVENTPROFS TO INCREASE SUSTAINABILITY MEASURES
A representative from the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) has called on the events industry to urgently accelerate its response to climate change.
UNFCCC programme officer Miguel Naranjo said there would be “no events industry” if society fails to meet the challenge, and event professionals have a responsibility to contribute by changing the way they address sustainability.
Naranjo said, “Time is running out to respond to the climate challenge. Most companies have already realised that action on climate is not just about social and environmental issues, but about their business’ bottom line and business continuity. An adequate response includes developing the required skills, education and training to take effective action, so that event professionals can become climate action champions.
“Along with our partners, Positive Impact Events, we have been speaking to event industry leaders and associations, but progress continues to be slow. Public pressure for action is growing though. Those that do not start implementing serious action right now will be left behind.”
SOURCE: Access All Areas by Christopher Barrett
Here at Cavendish Conference Venues, we have been promoting sustainability and environmental responsibility for a very long time now, we’ve put an immense amount of effort into doing our bit for the environment and we would encourage our fellow event venues and our dear clients to use the current events climate to evaluate and adjust their processes and look for additional ways to be more sustainable. Even though this is an extremely difficult time for events industry, especially event venues, conference centres, exhibition centres, all their suppliers and freelancers, lets try to use this time to think of more ways how we can give a helping hand to our planet.
Here are some of the ways how Cavendish Venues have been contributing:
- Recycling – all of our venues have full recycling facilities, from paper and cardboard to glass, batteries and toners
- Zero to landfill policy – all food waste is now composted in Mitcham, South East London
- Year on year reductions in all inputs – energy, water etc
- Local suppliers – all our meat, fish and vegetables are now sourced from local farms, less than 50km from all venues
- Drinking water – to avoid waste we only use filtered water in reusable glass bottles
- Stationery – all our pads, pencils, coasters, paper etc are made from recycled materials only – our coasters used to be CDs!
- Planting Trees – last year we’ve planted over 600 trees in rural Dorset, we are planning to hopefully plant another 600 by the end of the year.
We’ve been accredited by Green Mark, Green Tourism and most recently by Clean City Awards, for more details click HERE
And since our London conference venues are leading the way in sustainability, there is no better way to restart the year than with our latest offer – we will plant a tree for each and every enquiry received!
If you are looking for a conference venue, meeting room or a space for your training course, please don’t be a stranger and get in touch. Not only you’ll get to pick from a wide selection of event spaces, but you will also be helping the environment!
At Cavendish Venues we are committed to exceeding your expectations, and with over 93% repeat business we know we're doing something right!