UK events industry emits 1.2bn kg of CO2e every year, says report
A new report examining the environmental impact of the UK events industry has been released, it says that the industry uses an estimated 380m litres of diesel every year, costing an estimated £230m.
That diesel use contributes to 1.2bn kilograms of CO2e emissions every year, approximately the same as the country of Malta.
The report was put together by Hope Solutions and power management specialists ZAP Concepts, using data from A Greener Festival, Julie’s Bicycle, Powerful Thinking and ZAP.
Unoptimised diesel generators emit seven times more pollutants than power sources connected to the grid.
Rob Scully, head of operations, ZAP Concepts UK, said: “On average the UK event industry could reduce diesel consumption by 40% without risking any loss of power, any blackouts or any detrimental effect on the quality of the events.
“Venue managers and event managers should take professional advice in order to properly direct their power contractor and ensure that available power is matched to actual demand and where possible introduce renewables and other alternatives.
“The show must go on but it could go on in a far more sustainable manner, without risking people’s health and without risking the planet.”
Source: Conference News
Here at Cavendish Venues we believe we are the Greenest Venues in London. Right from the formation of the group in 1985 sustainability has been central to our ethos. We were the first London venues to stop using disposable mineral water bottles, last year we were the first London venues to become accredited landfill neutral. This year we have introduced a bespoke carbon calculator to our website, again a first for any London venue.
Here are just some of the ways we’ve been changing the way we do business:
- Absolute commitment to our zero to landfill policy, all food waste is now composted in Mitcham, South East London with year on year reductions in all waste streams. E.g. our menus were redesigned to offer more choice and less food waste.
- Year on year reductions in all inputs (energy, water, etc) in the centres – E.g. we are now using manned coffee stations rather than coffee machines, as the latter are far more energy inefficient.
- Localization of our supplier base to minimize carbon footprint – all meat is now sourced from a single farm less than 50km from all venues.
- Sustainability, we have been doing it for nigh on 20 years now, although we don’t boast as such we do believe we are the meeting industry’s most formidable advocate in this area.
We have a variety of event spaces across London perfect for any event! Lecture theatres, conference auditoriums, exhibition halls, meeting spaces, training rooms, workshop rooms and other event spaces… Our unique London venues combined with excellent customer service will ensure your event goes without a hitch.
- Respondents globally reported that 2023 would be the year when meetings and business events revenue surpassed 2019… https://t.co/d9omfw1TY3,
- RT @Headlinemoney_: Money writers at #HMMasterclass return after delicious lunch at @CavendishUK America Square Conference Centre! Rea… https://t.co/VUB1s58ohO,
At Cavendish Venues we are committed to exceeding your expectations, and with over 93% repeat business we know we're doing something right!