Episode 3 – Waste & Recycling – Part 1 Waste Reduction
A massive issue, in 2004 a massive 335 million tonnes of waste was created (DEFRA figs) at the moment
We are lagging miles behind our continental neighbours in terms of how much is recycled / reused.
Here at the Cavendish we have taken a number of steps in this direction:
- First and most importantly we have conducted a complete review of all our waste streams, enabling us to set verifiable targets as to how much waste we are producing. This gives us a benchmark to establish whether or not we are really reducing our output.
- We have gone through our entire operation working our where we can reduce waste for example:
- We now use no individually wrapped items – sugar / tea bags etc
- We have removed all one of disposable items from our operation i.e. paper slip cloths on tables / paper napkins / paper doilies for cups etc
- We have got rid of all mineral water bottles –we were one of the first users of the pure water system – a water purifying and carbonating system.
- All brochures / contracts and invoices are now emailed, paper copies are only sent when specifically requested.
- We have worked with our supply chain to reduce waste i.e.
- We organised a series of supplier forums to help communicate our green policies
- Both our greengrocer and butcher have now committed to leave no packing at the centre, i.e. the take all their boxes back with them, hopefully this will make them think more carefully about how many they use in first place.
- We have worked with our customers to try to reduce waste for example
We offer conference organiser a substantial discount if they undertake to minimise the amount to waste they leave at the venues
- RT @UKHospKate: All the very best of luck to our resilient, dynamic, innovative hospitality family opening their doors from tomorro… https://t.co/UF5Vn2lhEQ,
- RT @UKHospKate: A reminder to any EU workers in hospitality currently on furlough that they can still apply for settled status and… https://t.co/k8uGtzOo8l,
At Cavendish Venues we are committed to exceeding your expectations, and with over 93% repeat business we know we're doing something right!