Bike Week 2020 starts tomorrow! #7DaysofCycling
Cycling remains a great way to keep fit and active and is a good way to boost immunity, it’s also great for your mental well-being.
Cycling is also the most sustainable transport method because its fuel supply cannot run out and it is accessible by almost everyone in any location. Hence, choosing to cycle for transport is a smart, long-term choice.
Today it’s the start of Bike Week, delivered by Cycling UK and it is an annual celebration to showcase cycling. Thousands of people all over the UK enjoy the simple pleasure of riding a bike.
Give #7DaysofCycling a try!
There are no rules on what counts as one of your entries – all you need to do is go cycling or take part in a cycling-related activity and share a photo, video or story about your experience on Instagram or Twitter, using #7DaysofCycling. You can find more info how to get involved here
Cycling is incredible; it will help improve so many aspects of your life! In effort to raise awareness we gathered a few interesting facts about cycling:
- The largest rideable bicycle has a wheel diameter of 3.3 m (10 ft 9.92 in) and was built by Didi Senft from Germany.
- Cyclists are cool – a 2014 psychological study found that cyclists have a unique blend of intelligent generosity and the “cool” factor.
- The longest tandem bike ever built had 35 seats and was about 67 feet long!
- Cycling to work can mean you have a 45% lower risk of developing cancer, and a 46% lower risk of cardiovascular disease
- You can fit about 15 bicycles in the same space that one car occupies
- The world manufactures about 100 million bikes each year
- Compared to cars, a daily 16-kilometer commute on a bicycle saves a rider close to £12 per day, five kilos of carbon dioxide emissions and they burn around 360 extra calories.
- During Tour de France one cyclist accumulates enough sweat to flush a toilet 39 times
- Half of all the parts of a typical bicycle are in the chain
- According to a household survey, in Britain there were around 287,000 victims of bicycle theft from July 2018 to June 2019, down by 49% on 1995
Here at Cavendish Conference Venues we are big advocates of sustainability and environmental responsibility and we are leading the way in conference, meeting and event sustainability. We continue to build on our position as London’s leading sustainable conference and meeting venues with:
- First venue in London to introduce a bespoke carbon calculator for events held at our venues.
- Absolute commitment to our zero to landfill policy, all food waste is now composted in Mitcham, South East London.
- Year on year reductions in all waste streams. E.g. our menus were redesigned to offer more choice and less food waste.
- Year on year reductions in all inputs (energy, water, etc) in the conference centres. Localization of our supplier base to minimize carbon footprint – all meat is now sourced from a single farm less than 50km from all venues.
Sustainability, we have been doing it for 20+ years now, although we don’t boast as such, we do believe we are the meeting industry’s most formidable advocate in this area. Why not hold your next event at one of our green conference venues.
- RT @UKHospKate: All the very best of luck to our resilient, dynamic, innovative hospitality family opening their doors from tomorro… https://t.co/UF5Vn2lhEQ,
- RT @UKHospKate: A reminder to any EU workers in hospitality currently on furlough that they can still apply for settled status and… https://t.co/k8uGtzOo8l,
At Cavendish Venues we are committed to exceeding your expectations, and with over 93% repeat business we know we're doing something right!