Cavendish Venues – 600 trees planted another 500 on order – how are they doing ?
Last year in partnership with the Country Landowners Association we started an initiative whereby we planted an initial 300 trees, see here. We have widened this a number of times. We now plant a tree for every enquiry received, we plant a tree for bookings, we keep on planting trees. So planted over 600 trees during the planting season, the dormant season, autumn/winter and spring. These trees were planted on a very windswept field in Dorset, England see here. By and large these trees have thrived, a thorough audit in August 2020 reveals that 540 survived the winter. The survivors have on average grown hugely, the largest grew by over 6ft, on average the have grown by the following:
|Oak (Quercus Robur)||9cm|
See below for a few pictures
Planted in Autumn 2020
After 9 months
The new planting season is nearly here, thanks to your generosity in making enquires for events in our London conference and meeting rooms we are about to order a further 400 trees. This year we are considering some of the following options:
Pinus Nigra – average growth 30-70cm pa fast
Pinus Pinaster – average growth 60cm pa – fast
Pinus Pinea – average growth 20-30 cam – medium
Common Aspen – average growth 160cm pa – very fast
Why are we Planting Trees?
Planting trees across the world is one of the biggest and cheapest ways of taking CO2 out of the atmosphere to tackle the climate crisis, according to scientists.
As trees grow, they absorb and store the carbon dioxide emissions that are driving global heating. New research estimates that a worldwide planting programme could remove two-thirds of all the emissions from human activities that remain in the atmosphere today, a figure the scientists describe as “mind-blowing”.
“This new quantitative evaluation shows [forest] restoration isn’t just one of our climate change solutions, it is overwhelmingly the top one,” said Prof Tom Crowther at the Swiss university ETH Zürich, who led the research. “
There are many other significant benefits from mass tree planting:
- Encouraging Wildlife: We have only planted native species, a mixture of Oak, Larch Blackthorn, Field maple, Crab Apple, Hawthorn, Hazel and Wild Cherry. With 1 in 10 UK species experiencing serious decline since 1970 the need has never been greater.
- Cleaning the Air: Air quality has declined catastrophically in the UK, trees play an invaluable role in trapping airborne particulates.
For a more detailed list of the 22 benefits of trees see this fantastic article from the tree people.
Our Wider Sustainability strategy:
- Zero to landfill policy
- We use only green energy (carbon levy exempt)
- Purchasing policy explicitly favours local producers so, for example, all the wine we now purchase is UK produced.
If you are looking for Central London conference venues or meeting spaces. Venues who truly take sustainability seriously look no further than Cavendish Venues. We believe that when it comes to sustainability, we are the leading London and City of London meeting room and conference space, providers. For fuller details see here
- RT @UKHospKate: Welsh Govt response to FOI re covid passes - no guarantee where someone caught covid therefore no data and presumab… https://t.co/PaWXh69NFa,
- RT @UKHospKate: Great to join the opening event for the new @theLOUNGERS Castano Lounge - fab new addition to Ealing … https://t.co/Xa6HJliUlb,
At Cavendish Venues we are committed to exceeding your expectations, and with over 93% repeat business we know we're doing something right!